Monday, April 23, 2012

Making Words-The Scrabble-Tastic Way

So for those of you who know me, I am a Scrabble FANATIC! I've been playing Scrabble for as long as I can remember and when I started teaching, I included (of course!) teaching this wonderful game to my students. After becoming a coach, I missed sharing my love of this game, so I started the "Scrabble Squad" for 3-5 graders. Now, the Scrabble Squad has been active for over 5 years and I am STILL trying to find ways to incorporate this fun (okay, obsession) into teaching/learning. With that said, I am a HUGE fan of word work--especially Patricia Cunningham. I have taken EVERY lesson in the Sequential Phonics books and turned them into SB interactives (as well as adapted them to some of the word work patterns we have in my district).
With all of this in mind (yes, I'm long-winded tonight:) I made some fun little Mystery Word activities (adapted from Cunningham's work) for TCH, OO, DGE, & IGH words. The "mystery words" are: HATCHLINGS, HEDGEHOGS, BOOKMARKS, AND FLASHLIGHTS. Each download is 2 pages (1 page with the letters students can cut out and 1 page for the making words/sort/transfer). I've included the SB matching activities for those of you who have interactive whiteboards.
Thanks for Scrappin Doodles & Shabby Princess for their graphics!
Hope you enjoy!
~Erin




Click on the links below to download the SMART Board versions:

No comments:

Post a Comment