Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Met My New Team AND Word Study Folders

So I got a chance to meet many of the members of my new 3rd grade team the other night...what an awesome group of ladies! Their excitement and level of commitment to their craft is contagious!
As I continue to prepare the word study scope and sequence, I showed some examples to my staff about what our word study folders can look like. As I was searching images and I came across Meacham's website...wow! There are so many terrific ideas and just not enough time. :) I was happy to finally come across a similar word study folder like I used years ago when I had my last HR class. If you haven't seen Meacham's website, you HAVE to check it out. The only difference between her folders and the ones I used is that I use coin pouches (20 per page) and I had individual word walls in the students folders.  Honestly, you wouldn't really need a word wall that is separate...students could just make it in their journals, but it's just a thought.
I purchased the front/back A-Z letters from Lakeshore for my pocket chart (prior to me having a SMART Board) but I always wanted my students to have their own individual letters as well. For next year, I went ahead and created letter and had them printed front/back; capital on one side and lowercase on the other side. I printed them red/blue (red=vowels & blue=consonants) cardstock, had them cut, and then had them put into groups with four letters of each for each individual student. Since I was ordering for over 800 students in grades 1st through 5th, Printshop was a HUGE help in getting this job completed!
I liked how Meacham had a pocket chart in each folder and though a super cheap way to do this without it costing an arm and leg, would be to get the postage stamp collector pages. They are just like pocket charts and are make with the three hole punch to put in a folder/binder.
I've included the letters, picture of the individual word wall I made, coin pouches I use, and an example of the stamp collector pages. Use if you'd like!
~Erin


Click on the picture to download the A-Z front/back letter tiles.


You can get these on Amazon or click on the picture to get a case of 1000.

Here is an example of the individual word walls my students use.

This postage stamp collector insert would work as a pocket chart...they have many different sizes to choose from.


No comments:

Post a Comment